Metal Tube Bending
Tube Bending Guidelines
PREFERRED TUBE BENDING GUIDELINES
The following would be considered standard manufacturing criteria for contract manufacturing tube bending projects.
Have more questions on how to bend tubing? Contact us to discuss your project.
- Standard metal tubing size range from 1/8" O.D. to 1.25" O.D. (Tube sizes only, pipe sizes excluded.)
- Keep bend CLR (Center-Line Radius) to less than 6”. (Regardless of tube of O.D.)
- Distance between bend centers kept to no less than 1.5 x the tube O.D. on "U" bends and 3.50" between bend centers on "S" bends.
- Our tooling bend radius is measured to the centerline of the tube.
- Avoid greater than 180 degree bends.
- Avoid crossing of tubing.
- Keep radii the same throughout a formed assembly.
- Keep bend CLR to no less than 2 times tube O.D.
- Tolerances kept to +/-.030". Large parts will be measured in a constrained condition.
- CNC formed tubing assembly developed lengths up to 11 feet.
- Coiling developed lengths up to 50 feet (in soft copper tubing), 15 feet in other metals.
- Coil diameter minimum is best kept to 10 times tubing diameter. (Minimize tube flattening and keeps tooling simple.)